After almost a year of speculation, the new iPhone is here. Most analysts got it wrong though because what is on display is not the hotly anticipated iPhone 5 but rather, an upgraded iPhone 4: the iPhone 4S. While it may not be everything Apple’s fanatics and critics expected it to be -Apple’s share value briefly fell at the news of the announcement- it is not entirely a lost cause. What is important to note is that Apple has potentially opened a new avenue of competition with the unveiling of Siri, an AI-like app that plays the role of personal assistant, and iCloud, an online storage service.
However, on the hardware side, people were bitterly disappointed that iPhone did not incorporate a radical new design even though it does feature new and improved hardware specs. The iPhone 4S will be further complimented by the revamped iOS 5, which will be released later in the week.
- Dual-Core A4 processor
- Weight: 4.9 ounces (140 grams)
- World phone
- 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz only)
- Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology
- Retina display
- 3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen Multi-Touch display
- Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating on front and back
- Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously
- 8-megapixel camera
- Tap to focus
- Face detection in still images
- LED flash
- Charging via USB to computer system or power adapter
- Talk time: Up to 8 hours on 3G, up to 14 hours on 2G (GSM)
- Standby time: Up to 200 hours
- Internet use: Up to 6 hours on 3G, up to 9 hours on Wi-Fi
There are two ways of interpreting the iPhone 4S: On the one hand, it has begun to shift focus from hardware specs to more user-friendly features, which are increasingly becoming more important to users. After all, what is the point in having a super-fast smart phone if it has to be used pretty much the same way since its inception? On the other hand, critics claim that this is the first time the iPhone has fallen behind its rivals. For instance, both HTC and Samsung have released amazing phones and it is extremely likely that within the next six months they will have a strong lead over Apple in terms of hardware performance.
As mentioned earlier, the only thing that Apple can count on to stay ahead (as opposed to staying with the pack) is its amazing collection of apps. Unfortunately, Apple’s claims are yet to be tested properly. Ultimately, even though Apple has failed to shock and awe its followers, it has still proved its ability to innovate and compete with the toughest competition.