Please note this guiide is for OSX users only. The Windows tutorial can be found here.
Now that I have taken the time to successfully jailbreak my own iPhone, I felt I should share a how-to with the community. The general process of the jailbreak is pretty much the same as all previous versions of Redsn0w, so if you have used it before some of the information contained in this guide may be redundant.
My main motivation for the new jailbreak was the addition of Airplay for apps like Justin.TV & my personal favorite, Sirius XM.
The first step in the jailbreak is where I initially had trouble. The information provided from the iPhone dev-team says that the new jailbreak using Redsn0w 0.9.rc11 could be done on top of an existing jailbreak. I attempted three times to update my 4.2.1 device to the 4.3.1 firmware with no success. Once I restored with iTunes to the official Apple firmware, the jailbreak worked first try. I recommend playing around with both and report your outcome to the site!
– Next, turn the iPhone off (completely) and run Redsn0w.
– Select your iPhone firmware (obtained using Download Only option in iTunes, or through other sources on the web).
– Select your options.
– Follow the on-screen prompts to put your iPhone into DFU mode and upload the jailbreak!
– Once Redsn0w says it is done, it is important to note that the jailbreak is NOT completed. All of the remaining processes will take place on the device.
– Sit back and watch the screen as it completes the process & then reboots.
– Once your iPhone has rebooted, navigate to Settings, About, and verify the version of the iPhone.
– If your version checks out, and you have a Cydia icon on your home screen then you have successfully jailbroken your iPhone!!
To download the Redsn0w software used in this post check out the release posting here.