More than 10,000 universal and iPad specific applications are now available in Apple’s App Store. This means that more than 1,000 are being added each week.

Mac Stories talks about more than 2,100 games and lots of other content such as digital books, productivity, news, navigation, music, lifestyle, healthcare & fitness, and finance apps. And the list continues.

Mac Stories continues by summarizing that 22% of the more than 10,000 are free apps that can be downloaded from the App Store. The rest, about 78%, are paid apps. These numbers are similar to an earlier report by Moblix where they talk about 80% of paid apps when the iPad store first opened, containing 3,000 titles.

According to previous surveys, iPhone and now, as it can be seen; iPad users are willing to pay for premium content.

Despite Apple’s approval process the iPad apps are growing fast, must faster than the iPhone app store. When the iPhone app store opened more than five months had to pass before the App Store reached this 10,000 milestone. If we compare this to Google’s Android market we can see that it took almost eleven months to reach this milestone, so a rough 10 weeks is really a significant growth.

In 63 days Apple’s iPad App Store managed to take third place after iPhone and Android apps. The other platforms have less than 7,000 apps.