Roughly 10 hours ago, somewhere around midnight, the Dev Team announced on their website that Spirit has been released!
Remember, Spirit provides an untethered jailbreak on all of the newer devices which used to require a computer nearby to finish. However unlike previous jailbreaks, Spirit doesn’t actually go to work until after the kernel is running which removes the need for a computer.
There are a few things you keep in mind before using Spirit:
- Spirit is an untethered jailbreak for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch on the latest firmwares.
- Spirit is not a carrier unlock.
- If you currently are using a tethered jailbreak, you have to restore to use Spirit. Do not upgrade if you use an unlock on an iPhone 3G or 3GS. (You can, however, restore to 3.1.2 if you have SHSH blobs for that version.)
Here are the requirements for Spirit according to their website:
- Any iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch on firmware 3.1.2, 3.1.3, or 3.2.
- An activated device: one not stuck on the Connect to iTunes or Emergency Call screen.
- Any version of iTunes 9 (including 9.1.1).
- Syncing with iTunes before trying this highly recommended.
Note: On iPad, all this is still sort of beta. Some packages in Cydia, not designed for iPad, might screw up your system and require you to restore. Be careful. (And no, Cydia’s appearance is not final.)
Check out the jailbreak here to download the Windows or Mac version for your computer.
***WARNING*** Again this is not an unlock for any of the above mentioned firmware. If you upgrade or have already upgraded to the latest firmware, you are still out of luck. If you haven’t upgraded please make sure you don’t as you will lose your unlock unless you have your SHSH blob backed up.