Obviously we all know that not all file types can be opened and viewed on the iPhone, but you can still transfer unsupported files as a way of transferring them from one computer to another, for example, between work and home.
Similar to other file transfer apps, you download the app for the iPhone and a desktop app for either your PC or Mac, then follow these 3 easy steps;
- Launch File magic on both the desktop and the iPhone. The iPhone app will request that you allow the connection over wifi.
- Simply Drag and Drop any file into the File Magic window and it will be transferred over to the iPhone. You will see the progress of the transfer on both the iPhone and the Pc/Mac.
- Then, on the iPhone, just tap the supported file you wish to view.
- Documents – .doc, .docx, .html, .htm, .pdf, .ppt, .pptx, .txt, .xls, .xlsx
- Music – .mp3, .aac, .wav (Non DRM files only)
- Video – .m4v – Open a video in Quicktime (7.5 or later), go to File> Export> Movie to iPhone. Then drag the resulting m4v file into File Magic
- Images – .jpg, .jpeg, .gif, .png, .tiff
To get files off of the iPhone you just pull the files out of the desktop client and save them to your computer. File Magic is compatible with iPhone OS 2.1 or later and is available in the App Store for $4.99